A billion users cant be wrong
This Facebook post caught my eye:
And i giggled inside. It is the same silly notion that many Czechs had after the Berlin Wall came down – that democracy and the will of the people would rule the land.
I also thought that it was funny that the poster thought 0.1% of Facebooks 1 billion users would represent much of a ground swell for this company. FB is moved by greater forces.
Facebook has an objective, it is not simple – it has dominating the social network ecosystem, increasing e-commerce potential for them, charging micro fees for services for users and several grades of premium users. It has timing for these services and restrictions planned out to not annoy too many addicts, i mean users, at once.
And we have a mission, which we are largely ignoring, which is to create an open source social networking service, which does what is most useful about FB, but without all the poisonous corporate extras. In a parallel life i am working with some hot group of coders in a crowded duplex in Palo Alto crafting just such a thing now.
These are some of the design features:
- Non profit/volunteer based platform
- no filtering
- all data belongs to users
- Opt in ads where you get (perhaps) half the ad revenue for watching them
- real services – barter facilitation, tripper like services, gifting circle and all manner of non-monetary exchanges.
There is much more to say about what comes after FB and how we promote it. But this is enough for today.
About paxusa funologist, memeticist and revolutionary. Can be found in the vanity bin of Wikipedia and in locations of imminent calamity. buckle up, there is going to be some rough sledding.
- Labor Day Workshops at Cambia July 16, 2018
- Love Letters to Strangers July 14, 2018
- Communities building Co-ops July 5, 2018
- Don’t Buy Land First June 24, 2018
- Why you need to watch Fox News June 17, 2018
- Bicyclist’s Diary May 30, 2018
- An Empire of Vacant Lots May 27, 2018
- Possible Themes for Communities Conference May 20, 2018
- Twin Oaks Beltane May 18, 2018