A billion users cant be wrong
This Facebook post caught my eye:
And i giggled inside. It is the same silly notion that many Czechs had after the Berlin Wall came down – that democracy and the will of the people would rule the land.
I also thought that it was funny that the poster thought 0.1% of Facebooks 1 billion users would represent much of a ground swell for this company. FB is moved by greater forces.
Facebook has an objective, it is not simple – it has dominating the social network ecosystem, increasing e-commerce potential for them, charging micro fees for services for users and several grades of premium users. It has timing for these services and restrictions planned out to not annoy too many addicts, i mean users, at once.
And we have a mission, which we are largely ignoring, which is to create an open source social networking service, which does what is most useful about FB, but without all the poisonous corporate extras. In a parallel life i am working with some hot group of coders in a crowded duplex in Palo Alto crafting just such a thing now.
These are some of the design features:
- Non profit/volunteer based platform
- no filtering
- all data belongs to users
- Opt in ads where you get (perhaps) half the ad revenue for watching them
- real services – barter facilitation, tripper like services, gifting circle and all manner of non-monetary exchanges.
There is much more to say about what comes after FB and how we promote it. But this is enough for today.
About paxusa funologist, memeticist and revolutionary. Can be found in the vanity bin of Wikipedia and in locations of imminent calamity. buckle up, there is going to be some rough sledding.
- MIT Workshop March 15 of Climate and Communes March 12, 2018
- Gossip is the Fabric of Community February 20, 2018
- Secret for a Day February 14, 2018
- Stepping Stone Commune February 5, 2018
- Every gift is an obligation January 27, 2018
- i make what you make [fiction] January 25, 2018
- Rent a room in NYC commune January 19, 2018
- Dream Alliance January 8, 2018
- NYE – Sorry, you can’t come December 31, 2017