Sadly not Ello
i want a Facebook alternative. i have been talking and writing about this for years. Some folks pointed me towards Ello and asked if i thought it might fit the bill. At first glance the propaganda seemed right, but the functionality was a bit thin.
Then it turns our that they have taken $425K in venture capital funding. This is the kiss of death. VCs need at least 20 to 1 return on investment for their successful projects and they usually get this by having tremendous control over the running of the start up. The chances that the VCs will let this be an ad free/user driven social network are vanishingly small.
There is clearly a demand for an alternative to Facebook. This is just not the answer.
About paxusa funologist, memeticist and revolutionary. Can be found in the vanity bin of Wikipedia and in locations of imminent calamity. buckle up, there is going to be some rough sledding.
- Labor Day Workshops at Cambia July 16, 2018
- Love Letters to Strangers July 14, 2018
- Communities building Co-ops July 5, 2018
- Don’t Buy Land First June 24, 2018
- Why you need to watch Fox News June 17, 2018
- Bicyclist’s Diary May 30, 2018
- An Empire of Vacant Lots May 27, 2018
- Possible Themes for Communities Conference May 20, 2018
- Twin Oaks Beltane May 18, 2018