Call to Action – Cooks to Baltimore
Baltimore is on fire.
But it is not the flames of store fronts and rare police cars. It is the anger of locals who have tried everything else. There have been protests in Baltimore for months over police killings of unarmed black youth. MLK would have been proud of the tireless efforts by local organizers to try to influence the behavior of the police, non-violently.
But with the recent death of Freddie Gray who was arrested for reasons unknown, had his back broken, was denied medical attention when he asked for it repeatedly and then died in police custody, have thrown the city of Baltimore into a crisis. The important thing to realize, is that this is happening all the time across the US. Unarmed, young blacks are being killed by the police on a nearly daily basis. What is also important to understand is the US is unique in this behavior, basically every other country in the world is able to deal with their populations without requiring the police to kill their unarmed civilians. Freddie Gray did not cause the riots in Baltimore. The Baltimore police and the mayors office doing nothing for years about this problem caused these riots, Freddie’s death just sparked them.
It is easy to feel hopeless. It is easy to feel like there is nothing you can do. This is often the luxurious place of white privilege, There are things you can do. Very specifically, if you understand community, you can go to Baltimore and help cook for protesters. The Baltimore Free Farm (one of the most incredible urban projects in the US ) has made a call to the communes for cooks, if you have ever lived in community or feel like you understand how community works/have strong social skills, you are welcome to help.
We got the following request from our dear friends at the Baltimore Free Farm (BFF).
1) There are major protests in Baltimore
2) BFF is feeding protesters and needs more cooks
3) The best cooks for them are people who understand community and are not randos
4) Cooking experience is good, and willing volunteers who are not cooks can be trained and are welcome
If there are Acorn or Twin Oaks cooks (or others community savvy folx) who are willing to go up, they need help immediately and are estimating they will for the next several days to a week.
BFF will house volunteers. If you are interested please contact Billy at BFF.
If your problem is how to get there, i will help you get there. Paxus@twinoaks.org
Tags: Baltimore Free Farm
About paxusa funologist, memeticist and revolutionary. Can be found in the vanity bin of Wikipedia and in locations of imminent calamity. buckle up, there is going to be some rough sledding.
- Rent a room in NYC commune January 19, 2018
- Dream Alliance January 8, 2018
- NYE – Sorry, you can’t come December 31, 2017
- Culture Shift – Update Siri and Alexa December 21, 2017
- Alabama – don’t blame the whites December 14, 2017
- Bye for noo, Milo December 11, 2017
- Appreciating being targeted December 4, 2017
- Damanhur Stories December 1, 2017
- A love letter a day November 29, 2017