#WhoIsBurningBlackChurches and the Mainstream Media Racial Bias
Unlike Yahoo, Google does not run a new service. They run an aggregator. It scans 4000 sources and creates listings for news stories based on a number of factors, including the reliability of sources and the popularity of the story. There are no editors at Google News; it is all done using algorithms. Thus, in some crude way, Google News is the mainstream news (MSM). Yesterday, I bumped into this internet meme (sic):
So i went to Google News’ US section for today (July 2) and, in the 30 top stories listed on the page, there is not a single mention of these churches being burned. Nothing on the investigations, nothing on local protests about this arson, nothing about these churches having been targets before, nothing about the apparent race war which is raging in this country. Simply nothing.
It would be wrong to say that there has been no coverage about this at all. The BBC, NY Times and Buzzfeed have run stories on it before #BlackLivesMatter started raising public awareness about these incidents. But the 24 hour new services on US television (Fox and CNN) had vanished the story.
To combat this silence, the twitter feed #WhoIsBurningBlackChurches was created by #BlackLivesMatter. The twitter feed is an organizing platform where concerned citizens can post about these fires and read the latest news about this under-reported story. But really the purpose of this hashtag is not to replace the failed FBI efforts to find the domestic terrorists, it is to shame the media into covering the story. And it is working. The BBC reports:
A Google News search about the fires returned more than 1,400 stories, up from just over 300 on Tuesday. Although news of a seventh church fire broke later Tuesday, and could explain the increase, Masri claimed that the Twitter action worked.
So far, however, the 24 hour TV news stations have remained largely silent (CNN has 4 stories, one explaining claiming one fire was from lightning). If you put “Black Churches Arson” into Fox News’ search, there are no results found. Salon magazine’s article on the media’s failure to cover all this arson as an issue of domestic terrorism listed the following set of likely future Fox News stories on the church burnings from #WhoIsBurningBlackChurches:
- Apparently all those black churches used the same electrician.
- “Affirmative action” is to blame. Somehow.
- “Race hustlers” just want to get attention and make white people look bad.
- You see this is really a war on Christians!
- Do the math: Churches burn down all the time. Why are black race hustlers and liberals making such a big deal about simple math!
- What if Black racists want to hurt white firefighters!
- This is a scorched earth strategy to start a race war against white people.
- This is what happens when the SCOTUS allows gay marriage!
- Rap music! Rappers are always talking about “being on fire” and “making it hot up in here.” Let’s lay the blame where it deserves. What about personal responsibility!
- What if this was caused by, like, solar flares? How can the sun be racist?
- We need to talk about the broken Black family, and how black kids love playing with lighters.
- What do the liberals want to do now? Ban lighters.
- And really, where are black fathers?!
- Barack Obama is to blame.
About paxusa funologist, memeticist and revolutionary. Can be found in the vanity bin of Wikipedia and in locations of imminent calamity. buckle up, there is going to be some rough sledding.
- The House that Numbers Built April 10, 2017
- Block Gorsuch esp SC, AZ, ME, and NV April 5, 2017
- Slip Trip – When the GPS sends you astray April 1, 2017
- The Death of Westinghouse March 25, 2017
- When almost all “yeses” means “no” March 22, 2017
- “So you are a polyamorous community?’ March 18, 2017
- What she sees wrong with me March 15, 2017
- Binghamton – Hello and Goodbye March 11, 2017
- Crafts House and Tufts March 9, 2017